A BRIEF HISTORY

Calvary Baptist Church has existed in New Haven for over 150 years! In 1860, it was first established by the First Baptist Church as a mission Sunday school at 179 Dwight Street. The Sunday school grew into a branch church, which later gave birth to Calvary Baptist Church at the corner of Chapel and York Street in 1871.

Old Calvary at 1120 Chapel St., New Haven

Calvary, in turn, planted a mission Chinese Sunday school that became a Chinese Christian Fellowship in 1892. The fellowship continued to expand over the next one hundred years. In 1967, the congregation decided to sell the church building to Yale University, which has become the current Yale Repertory Theater; at the same time, construction of a new church building began on 100 Dwight Street. On Nov 23, 1969, Calvary officially relocated to its new building and has been here ever since. In 1971, the church employed the first Chinese pastor as associate pastor to minister to the growing Chinese congregation, which, in 1994, inherited the CBCNH ministry, continuing to be a witness for Christ in the Greater New Haven area.

Our greatest heritage is neither the current Dwight building nor the ministry funds, but the planting of seeds  of the sacrificial love of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Our past is filled with such endeavor. Remember the vision of the Dwight mission of the First Baptist members, the single penny from a Norwegian girl, the shovel of soil carried by each Branch member, the mission fund offering of the Chinese Department teachers and the 35-year dedication of Mrs. Horsfall, the Chinese Department superintendent, and many others. All these acts seemed to plant only small seeds of Christ's love. However, the Sunday school hymn of Calvary reminds us that "Little drop of water, little grain of sand, makes the mighty ocean and the pleasant land." A humble Chinese Fellowship of two people now becomes a strong Calvary Baptist Church today. Let us be Christ's faithful gardeners and continue to plant his seeds of love. May the name of God be glorified by all people, from New Haven to the whole world.